Saturday, May 8, 2010

Slight Speed Bump

Thanks all for your comments! I am having a blast! Homesickness and culture shock have passed and I wish I could bring you all here. I am much more comfortable going into town now and I now know some prices of things so we don't have to pay the Muzungu (white person in swahilli) price. :D I will be putting up pictures as soon as we can get power again (our generator needs oil!) Life is very different taking showers every four days! The food is very carb based and so I am dying!! I did some crunches and things today laying out in the sun which I hope will help.

We went out for the first time last night with all of the volunteers and the farm boys. It was a blast, although it ended early because as we were walking in the dark Fed fell in a ditch (very small bridges here) and sliced her foot. She has a flap now and luckily we had a medic, pharmacist and two nurses with us! We did not suture it, we are waiting to see if it will heal on its own for a day or two and then go from there! They take very good care of us with free medicine. Canceled our trip to Kisumu today but will go tomorrow to see the hippos!

This Thursday we are off to Uganda to white water raft the Nile River, and stay for the night! Hopefully I will get pictures up before then. I will try to stay current with them, although this IS Kenya and breakdowns of all sorts are highly expected!

Hope all is well with everyone at home! I can't wait to share more stories!

All my love!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Rob! What great news! I'm thrilled at the stories of all your adventures. How nice to have the other volunteers to share your escapades with. The visual of all of you brings a big smile to my face...though I can't wait to see pictures. And every story you tell makes me anxious to get there :).
    My love to you and Fed, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get some baby whipes for in between showers! Doesn't sound like much, but its better than nothing. I checked the weather for Nairobi,only town they give weather forcasts it seems, had to use a celcius to farenheit calulator. It seems its near 70 all this week. I told you I was a blog nerd! A high carb diet wont be too bad as long as you stay active. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristi,

    Your Dad tried to write but didnt go through! Glad to hear you are doing well and having fun! What a great experience!Stay safe and we'll talk soon! We love and miss you1

    Shelley and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey love,
    Sounds like you are having a blast! Hope Fed's foot is doing better. Can't wait to see pictures so that I can live vicariously through you! It sounds amazing stay safe! Love you
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all! It is great here! And dont worry Matt... I am not using baby wipes half as much as I am using clorox wipes! Go big or go home in Africa! :D HAHA! Fed's foot is much better. We sutured it off the other day. She is still in a bit of pain! :D We went to an orphanage and two different schools. One was a school that the volunteers just made! :D It was the definition of amazing! Chat again soon. Putting some pictures on facebook. For some reason it takes A MILLION YEARS! I will put up the most fun ones for now! Jinja (Uganda) Thursday! Cant wait for the good shopping and Nile River!

    P.S. tried my hand at bartering the other day, turns out it is not to hard when you make it into a game! And if you are frank with them and say "Hey buddy, I dont pay Mzungu prices!" They laugh and give you a lower price! :D

    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey babe! I have been reading your blogs & tried to catch you on facebook this morning! I miss you!!! Everything that I have read so far is amazing :) I am SO proud of you! I can't wait to hear more stories when you come home. I am moving to TN the first week of July :( but hopefully I will be home again soon. I will keep Tammy company while you are away :) We will drink margs by the pool and wait for you to come home! I miss you lots Krissy Poo! I graduate Saturday and I wish you were here with Mom in your Purdue Sister t-shirt :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristie SUEEEE! the pictures you posted are AMAZIMG! what a great experience... wow. The kids look like so much fun~ what a little cutie... wanting ms. kris to hold her all day long!

    I'm glad you are having such a great time~ but I miss you very much. So does LuNa ;o) I can't believe you are going to raft the Nile... that is just about the coolest thing I have ever heard. AND HIPPOS! you are going to have to tell me ALLLL about them.. I love me some hippos haha. 2 months is so long! I have much to update you on... anyway! I super super love you and I'll be watching for more pictures! hope little orange is treating you right~! ha!

    Good work on learning how to barder!! that seems like it would be no easy task~ I'm am very proud of you susan. <3

    ReplyDelete