Saturday, June 12, 2010

Nearing the end!

Hi all,
I am sorry that it has taken me so long to post again! I have realized that my time is drawing near and I wanted to soak up as much of life as I could! Things have been wonderful lately. I have strengthened many more of my favorite relationships since I have been here. We talked with a lot of the girls about growing up and their bodies changing. Many of these girls have no one to talk to about this kind of thing because their parents do not talk to them about it! They are all very scared and have a lot of scary misconceptions about their bodies! We first met to talk to them with their teachers. We soon found that they do not feel comfortable in this type of situation. Fed and I set up a private meeting where the teachers were not able to come. You would have thought we were giving these girls a brand new car! They were so thankful! We had meetings with the teachers of Epico Jahns and the families of the students that go there. We are working really hard to do away with the practice of caning in the schools. Although this is illegal in Kenya, it is rarely inforced (especially in the small villages). Unfortunately students are caned for bad grades, not dressing according to school uniform and not having shoes. There are so many things that the school preaches from the Bible and then goes against. We tried using this as our main point when talking to the headmaster and deputy (typically the disciplinarians in the school). Not sure how much will stick, although we are working to inform future volunteers of the problem so they will continue the fight! The students are so very grateful. Many are caned so much that they need medical attention, which is not readily available for so many! I spent a lot of time taking children to the local clinic! Many have piki piki burns on their feet from the motor bikes and the burns are never treated. With one student, I treated him every day to find out that his mom was taking off my dressing. I was able to talk to his mom with the help of some of the teachers at the meeting. I feel much better about his care after this!

I am currently in Nairobi waiting for my mother to arrive! I am saying goodbye to Fed and hello to my mom! It is going to be a lot to handle! I am having a hard time saying goodbye to Fed! We have truly been the most effective traveling partners. I love everything about here and practically spend every minute with her every day! It is very hard to internalize the holes that will be created in my heart when I leave this place! I am having a really hard time being in Nairobi, away from the farm for four days. I have called friends back on the farm multiple times a day to make sure my kids are taken care of and farm kids are supported! I know that I will be faced with a very deep depression when I arrive back at home! Kabula has completely changed my life and I am so thankful for even the worst events that caused this change! I have to stop talking about my little farm home before I lose it in the middle of a Nairobi internet cafe! I am very excited about my mother coming to the farm and traveling with us! It should be a blast! Thank you for all of your stories and posts while I am away. I cant wait to talk to everyone at home!

All my love and more,
K

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kristie,

    We are so happy you are soaking up all the moments and memories! Your time there will always be with you and has shaped you into the beautiful young lady you are today and tomorrow. Your time with your mom will also be a great way to transition back to the states. She will act as your bridge and will support you when things are hard to cross. Know that so many friends and family are counting the moments until your return. We look forward to hearing about your great adventures. Hang in there and know that many hugs are waiting for you in the U.S. Love ya, Peck, Dan, & the Boys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pecks!!! It sure is nice to have reassuring words! Im sure traveling will be wonderful, just not the same! :D Can't wait to get home! We will have to plan a cookout or something for when I get back (i.e. not babysitting cuz then I cant talk to you grown ups!) AND....I have to meet the new Addy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Addison is dying to meet you too! We look forward to celebrating your return. Have a wonderful time on your travels and leave the maggots behind you! (I would be happy to help you lose the weight when you come home. Let's Zumba together! No crazy maggot diets allowed!) Give my love to your mom. Be safe and have a ball. xoxoxoxo, Peck

    ReplyDelete